The house buying and selling process can be quite stressful, but we endeavour to make it all go smoothly from the beginning to the end and of course give our clients great service.
Initial Telephone Discussion
- You instruct us to act on your behalf and we open your file. We can, of course act for you to buy your new house as well.
- We send you the transaction forms which you must sign and return and you must provide identification documents
- You complete a ‘fixtures & fittings’ list (which can be used to sell items to your purchaser)
- You must complete a ‘Property Information’ form and a questionnaire confirming your personal details
- Either we can or your estate agent can arrange for a Domestic Energy Assessor to make an appointment to visit your house and prepare the necessary Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
Before Exchange of Contracts
- We request the Deeds of the property
- We prepare a Contract pack which is then sent to your buyer
- We deal with enquiries from your buyer’s solicitor which we answer with your assistance
- We will send the final approved Contract to you for you to sign
Exchange of Contracts
- We agree a completion date with you and with your buyers, through your buyer’s solicitor. We will not agree completion dates until the whole chain is ready to exchange
- Please note that at this stage deposit monies will be required from the buyer and the Contract becomes legally binding
Before we Complete the Transaction
- This is the time you need to make arrangements like booking your removal company, notify your service providers about your move, arranging for your post to be redirected and making sure we have your forwarding address
- We will send a Completion Statement to you, showing redemption figures obtained from your Bank/Building Society, if applicable
- This is the day you move, as agreed at the exchange stage
- You must vacate the property that day and leave the keys with your estate agent
- We will arrange for the legal completion: handing over the Deeds in return for the balance of monies owing and the redemption of any existing mortgage
- One last thing – don’t forget that you should now make a Will or update your existing Will. Call if you’d like us to help.
How to get in contact
Our Residential Property Solicitors are on hand to provide expert advice and assist you wherever you are based. Please call us for a no-obligation, initial discussion on 01256 460830 or email [email protected].
Our offices are based in Basingstoke and we assist clients across the country.
We aim to keep legal jargon to a minimum and guide you through the process in a manner that is easy to understand.
Our highly-skilled solicitors offer tailored, strategic solutions to even the most complex matters, ensuring you receive the guidance and support you need.
We will be by your side throughout every stage of the process and will provide you with regular updates and advice along the way.
We communicate thoroughly with you from the outset to ensure that we fully understand your individual needs. This allows us to accurately quote for your matter leaving you without any unexpected surprises and fees further down the line.
We provide our clients with a concise and transparent breakdown of costs from the outset of the matter and throughout any subsequent stages. This enables you to build faith and trust in us early on to form a lasting relationship.
Phillips Law is delighted to have advised Mactaggart Family & Partners and Longstock Capital Limited on a multi-million-pound agreement for lease with The AA to move their headquart ...More
In our January update we reported on the Supreme Court decision in the long running dispute between Deliveroo and the unions representing many of its riders. You can read the full Judgm ...More
From 6 April 2024 carers will have a day one right to request one week’s unpaid carer’s leave per year. Draft regulations for the Carer’s Leave Act 2023 provide the detail on this new r ...More
Welcome to the new year! As we embark on 2024, it’s crucial to stay informed about the latest developments in employment law. Here’s a snapshot of key updates and changes th ...More
Phillips Law is delighted to have advised Nordic Design House on the acquisition of their first UK showroom in Clerkenwell, London. Nordic Design House is a renewable furniture design c ...More
We are delighted to announce three well-deserved promotions within our firm. Sian Lias and Lisa Perry have been promoted to the position of Legal Director in the Wills, Trusts and Proba ...More