Buying and selling a house can be stressful, but we will endeavour to make the process as smooth as possible and of course provide you with great service.
We work well with estate agents, surveyors and those parties involved in the purchase of your home and will keep you informed all the way.
Initial Telephone Discussion
- When you have instructed us to act for you in buying your new house, you must complete a questionnaire confirming your personal details and confirming your personal details and provide identification documents. This is essential as by law we cannot work on your file until these are received. We can, of course, act for you if you are selling a house as well.
- We require you to pay money on account for any disbursements such as official enquiries and extra searches.
Before Exchange of Contracts
- The draft contract arrives from the seller’s solicitor. We request landlord information for leasehold properties
- We will request any additional specialist searches that may be needed on the property you are buying
- We raise enquiries with the seller’s solicitor, obtaining answers to any queries you may have
- Your mortgage offer must be received at this time
- When all the replies are satisfactory we will send you the draft contract which you must sign ready for exchange
- We must receive cleared deposit funds (unless you have a related sale in which case we will use the deposit from your buyers)
Exchange of Contracts
- We agree a completion date with you and your sellers, through your seller’s solicitor. We will not agree completion dates until everyone in the chain is ready to exchange contracts
- Please note that at this stage deposit monies are required and the contract becomes legally binding
Before we Complete the Transaction
- We will prepare the necessary transfer of property documents for signature by the seller and you, if necessary
- We will provide you with a Completion Statement
- We must have cleared funds one full working day prior to completion
- Although it is possible to complete in a shorter space of time, we prefer to have seven working days between exchange and completion to enable us to obtain funds from the lender and carry out final searches and checks without incurring further expense for you
- This is the day you move, as agreed at exchange and we will advise you as soon as the transaction is complete
- We obtain the title deeds and hand over the balance of monies to the seller’s solicitor
- You can then pick up the keys from your estate agent
- We will arrange for the legal completion: submit transfer of documents to the Inland Revenue, pay Stamp Duty and register your new home with the Land Registry. We will then send you a copy of the completed registration form. So, congratulations, enjoy your new home!
How to get in contact
Our Residential Property Solicitors are on hand to provide expert advice and assist you wherever you are based. Please call us for a no-obligation, initial discussion on 01256 460830 or email [email protected].
Our offices are based in Basingstoke and we assist clients across the country.
We aim to keep legal jargon to a minimum and guide you through the process in a manner that is easy to understand.
Our highly-skilled solicitors offer tailored, strategic solutions to even the most complex matters, ensuring you receive the guidance and support you need.
We will be by your side throughout every stage of the process and will provide you with regular updates and advice along the way.
We communicate thoroughly with you from the outset to ensure that we fully understand your individual needs. This allows us to accurately quote for your matter leaving you without any unexpected surprises and fees further down the line.
We provide our clients with a concise and transparent breakdown of costs from the outset of the matter and throughout any subsequent stages. This enables you to build faith and trust in us early on to form a lasting relationship.
Phillips Law is delighted to have advised Mactaggart Family & Partners and Longstock Capital Limited on a multi-million-pound agreement for lease with The AA to move their headquart ...More
In our January update we reported on the Supreme Court decision in the long running dispute between Deliveroo and the unions representing many of its riders. You can read the full Judgm ...More
From 6 April 2024 carers will have a day one right to request one week’s unpaid carer’s leave per year. Draft regulations for the Carer’s Leave Act 2023 provide the detail on this new r ...More
Welcome to the new year! As we embark on 2024, it’s crucial to stay informed about the latest developments in employment law. Here’s a snapshot of key updates and changes th ...More
Phillips Law is delighted to have advised Nordic Design House on the acquisition of their first UK showroom in Clerkenwell, London. Nordic Design House is a renewable furniture design c ...More
We are delighted to announce three well-deserved promotions within our firm. Sian Lias and Lisa Perry have been promoted to the position of Legal Director in the Wills, Trusts and Proba ...More