When professional negligence occurs, this can have a devastating impact on you or your business and can understandably leave you disappointed and with a lack of trust in legal professionals.
In the event that you experience professional negligence at the hands of a Solicitor, or other legal professionals, you may have a professional negligence claim. Our expert Professional Negligence Solicitors can advise on whether you have a claim and can help you reach a settlement.
Initial Telephone Discussion
It can be hard to contemplate that your Solicitor has been professionally negligent. Negligence by a Solicitor can take many forms, including:
- Advising you incorrectly on the law;
- Delay in following your instructions;
- Drafting errors;
- Missing a limitation period or Court deadline;
- Not providing competent advice;
- Not adequately warning you about a legal issue.
These are just a few examples of what can amount to professional negligence by a Solicitor. However, it is important to differentiate between a legal service that was poor and a negligent service. If you received a poor service from your Solicitor, you may have other remedies available to you, such as making a formal complaint to the law firm or to their regulatory body and asking for compensation.
The Essentials of a Professional Negligence Claim
To succeed in a professional negligence claim against a Solicitor, you must be able to prove that:
- The Solicitor owed you a duty of care;
- The Solicitor breached their duty of care; and
- You suffered loss because of the Solicitor’s professional negligence and their breach of the duty of care.
Solicitor professional negligence takes many forms and can occur in every field of legal advice. We recognise that for many people it is an uncomfortable experience to allege professional negligence against the professional who should have been a trusted advisor you could rely on for their legal expertise and commitment to your case.
Our Professional Negligence Solicitors have substantial experience in advising on a wide range of professional negligence claims against Solicitors. We will give you honest and objective advice on:
- If the standard of service provided by the Solicitor amounted to professional negligence;
- If the Solicitor owed you a duty of care;
- The evidence needed to prove your professional negligence claim;
- The options available to resolve your claim including Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) and Court litigation;
- The potential timescales and costs involved in ADR and in litigation; and
- The potential range of damaged and or/compensation and your prospects of success.
We will need to ‘fact find’ to give you the best advice on your potential professional negligence claim and will regularly communicate with you.
Examples of experience in advising on Solicitor professional negligence claims include cases involving:
- Errors in drafting Wills, contracts and leases;
- Failure to administer a deceased’s estate correctly;
- Failing to serve a notice by a specified deadline;
- Failure to advise about the implications for property purchase because of lack of planning permissions or building regulations;
- Missing claim limitation dates in civil litigation; and
- Not negotiating a reasonable settlement in civil litigation or Family Law proceedings.
Where possible we will offer a fixed fee, so you will know what the costs are from the start. For more complex or uncertain projects, we will provide you with an estimate of the likely fees involved and keep you updated throughout the matter.
How to get in contact
Our Professional Negligence Solicitors are on hand to provide expert advice and assist you wherever you are based. Please call us for a no-obligation, initial discussion on 01256 460830 or email [email protected].
Our offices are based in Basingstoke and we assist clients across the country.
We aim to keep legal jargon to a minimum and guide you through the process in a manner that is easy to understand.
Our highly-skilled solicitors offer tailored, strategic solutions to even the most complex matters, ensuring you receive the guidance and support you need.
We will be by your side throughout every stage of the process and will provide you with regular updates and advice along the way.
We communicate thoroughly with you from the outset to ensure that we fully understand your individual needs. This allows us to accurately quote for your matter leaving you without any unexpected surprises and fees further down the line.
We provide our clients with a concise and transparent breakdown of costs from the outset of the matter and throughout any subsequent stages. This enables you to build faith and trust in us early on to form a lasting relationship.
Phillips Solicitor’s Employment Team represented the Claimant, Mr Baugh, a senior manager working for IBM, an international company. He has claims for unfair redundancy and age discrimi ...More
The Wagatha Christie trial, that concluded at the High Court last week, has certainly provided many talking points these past couple of weeks. Whether it was the insight into the relat ...More
Did you know that on 6th April 2022 the law relating to divorce was updated? Fault will no longer be a basis for divorce and this marks the biggest change to the divorce law since the M ...More
Today in his Spring Statement Rishi Sunak, confirmed that the government will press ahead with its decision to use National Insurance Contributions (NICs) as a tax to help raise £36bn t ...More
Future proofing your commercial lease for RPI reform The UK Statistics Authority (the Authority) published its response to the consultation on the reform to the Retail Prices Index (RPI ...More
Leading Hampshire law firm Phillips Solicitors continues to go from strength to strength with the appointment of senior solicitor Clare Strachan, who has joined the firm as a Legal Dire ...More